Thursday 9 November 2017

Rare Outlaw Josey Wales soundtrack Test Pressing LP 1976

I thought I would post a little something about this Josey Wales test pressing album which fortunately came my way last month. Whilst I still have my original Warner Bros LP (left) featuring Jerry Fielding’s superb score, I am always looking out for Eastwood vinyl rarities. These are often in the form of Japanese records with superb alternative artwork, booklets within gatefold sleeves etc. But it's very rare that something rather special comes along in the shape of a promo or test pressing. Test pressings are often the rarest form of vinyl. For those unfamiliar the Wikipedia page defines them as:

'Test pressings, usually with test pressing written on the label, with catalogue number, artist and recording time or date, are the first vinyl discs made at the factory. They are produced in small quantities (usually fewer than five copies) to evaluate the quality of the disc before mass production begins.'

I have only previously been fortunate enough to obtain one other Eastwood related test pressing or ‘white label' copy, which was Lalo Schifrin’s Kelly’s Heroes soundtrack and there was an incredible story behind that find which can be read on the Kelly’s Heroes page of this site. I didn’t honestly think I would ever come across another. But that all changed last month when I discovered this wonderful item. Thankfully, the vinyl is stunning and comes in its original DJ style sleeve with the original job sheet stuck to the outside. It’s a lovely collectable piece and something that you just don’t see very often. 


Hopefully, one day we will all see the eventual release of the full score on CD – it’s hard to believe it has not been picked up by the likes of Intrada. We can only live in hope. 

No comments: